Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Singing:

So here's an interesting tidbit about my life.

I hate my voice. Like, a lot. When I hear it, I can't imagine how I sound like that. The voice I hear in my head when I'm speaking is entirely different.

Another interesting tidbit:

My entire life, I've been told I can't sing. I've been told that I can't and told to just shut up and stop trying.

Between you and me, I'd say the two have a high chance of being correlated.

Now, then. Up until about a year ago, I had never ever been told that I was capable of singing, that my voice sounded good or even been encouraged to sing much. I mean, I had a brief bout in church choir, but it was very brief because, well, what's the point of sticking around and committing time and effort to something you'll never be good at? So when my friend and her mom told me I had a nice voice a year ago, I thought they were absolutely insane. "What is wrong with their ears? My voice is horrible and I sound like a duck when I sing." (Not that ducks don't have lovely voices..but, you get the picture)

So the other day, I'm talking to this girl while we're working on taking down the set for one of our school's productions. She was talking about her classes, and..well...I was just a little envious. She's in Performing Arts and has voice classes and so on. I told her I can't sing, and she was just "What? Everybody can sing."

"Not me.."

I had told her earlier that I played the violin for 9 years, and she told me how she'd never met a violinist that couldn't sing. So then she walked me through, on the elevator,from humming to singing.

Complete stranger.

I left feeling a lot better about myself that day. Not that I'm suddenly going to stand up and be like "Oh yea! I can sing!" I mean, it wasn't that big of an ego-boost. But it was very nice. Maybe some day I'll learn to actually sing. For now, I'll stick to only singing in church when nobody can actually hear me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment